Friday, August 8, 2014

foot part deux

Last I wrote, I talked about the development of an issue in my left foot and what we thought was a sprain to the 4th metatarsel. Believe it or not, I've been compliant, wearing the boot as directed, and also wearing shows on my right foot whenever possible. Have I mentioned before that I absolutely hate wearing shoes in general? so I guess you can see why I am proud to not only be in compliance with the boot, but I've also been really good about cutting down on barefoot time.

I went for my 4 week follow up yesterday with 2 main issues on my mind:

  1. Although I've been wearing the boot on my LEFT foot, the pain is not any better... AT ALL. thankfully its not worse, but its not better. 
  2. All this time in the boot on my LEFT foot has me once again facing issues of overcompensation (which we believe led to this LEFT foot in the first place), and I am having some pretty significant pain in my RIGHT heel again. As a recap, it was the RIGHT foot that got me into this mess in the first place. 

Unfortunately, it is clear that this cycle is vicious and something has to change. The Dr. Suspects that the first problem is actually due to a 4th metatarsal stress fracture that is hiding between the bones at the joint in the center of my foot. He wants an MRI to see if there is anything he can do... but the prognosis remains somewhat the same either way. 4-6 weeks in a boot religiously. maybe some injections if there is no break.

The problem in my right foot can be alleviated temporarily with cortisone shots... which I had, and holy mother of monkeys was that worse than I remembered. Because the needle goes into the sheath around a tendon and nerves, its enough to make me cringe and see sound vibrations from the needle straight up into my eyes. I don't know if that even makes sense, but think of the movie 127 hours:







So yeah... that sound that he was hearing and color, that's all I can think of when trying to explain what that needle going into my heel feels like.

So anyway, there you have it. We will know more after my MRI monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment